Thursday, July 14, 2011

A Gluten Vent - Just Once....

Let me preface this entire blog by saying that I'm in a grumpy and bitter mood (which is causing me to have the Shad song stuck in my head where he goes "Maybe I'm not big cuz I don't blog or twitter, Dawg, I'm bitter" because I am bitter and I'm blogging and that was a major tangent).

As I was saying, I'm just kind of grumpy today... chalk it up to... well, I'm not sure. But I am. Also important to note, I love my job and my company and my bosses :) Seriously, I do, but I know I'm about to vent and it's semi work focused.

Every Thursday, well not every Thursday, but most Thursdays, my boss goes out and gets this amazing smelling and delicious looking bread from the International Bakery at the market. He brings it back, cuts it up and then everyone goes go-go-ga-ga over it. If I hear someone else say how amazing this bread is, I'm going to break something.

I generally don't care about this. I've gotten used to missing out on all things delicious that are being shared anywhere I go... birthday cakes, cookies, brownies, etc., etc. I understand and I'm aware that it sucks for me but that's just how life goes.

But today, today I am grumpy and bitter. Oh and a side note:  I'm basically the one in charge of keeping morale up at the office (which also means that no one actually cares about my morale - ever). I'm the annoyingly happy one that sends thumbs ups to people in emails and creates the cute little "Thank You" cards that go on the board for when someone does something even half meaningful to make it a nice and pleasant spot to be. This bread however, is one of the things my boss does to treat to the employees. Would it kill them to once, just once, think about how I can't eat this bread and maybe pick me up one of the super duper amazing GF cookies or tarts from the International Bakery? I mean, you're there getting the bread, and there's the sign "Gluten Free Cookies" - could you not just add one to your order?

Oh, and don't get me started about the fact that when the bread plate was being passed around today that I was asked "Oh, are you sure you can't have some today?".... Hmmmm, let me think about it, maybe my auto immune disorder magically disappeared today! Oh wait, nope it didn't. Still here kicking - waiting for that teenie tiny morsel of gluten to hit my intestines and wreak my life for a few days... not to mention contribute to the overall decline of my intestinal health and leave ever lasting damage that can lead to other awesome intestinal problems and other great diseases like cancer.

I'm not saying that I deserve to get anything. I understand that this Thursday bread is a "treat" to the office. I get that when you take everyone out for lunch to a restaurant that serves nothing gluten free that it's a "treat". And it's not your fault I can't eat it - but it sure the fuck isn't my fault either.

No comments:

Post a Comment