Monday, January 31, 2011

The point.

What's my point? Celiac disease is become more and more common. On top of that, gluten free living is becoming "trendy" and more people are starting to realize the benefits of it.

That being said, I haven't really seen anyone in London, Ontario get on that bandwagon. Eight years in, I'm willing to take the reigns.

What give me the authority to talk about celiac disease and gluten free living? Good question. Here's the answer: My mom was diagnosed with celiac disease about 34 years ago and living a completely gluten free life since then. Sure, when I was a kid I just thought she couldn't eat the same hot dogs that I did. And it wasn't until I was about 10 when I realized that lasagna wasn't made with layers of rice - who knew!?

I was diagnosed with celiac disease when I was 11, even though I didn't show any signs of it. At the same time, my 16 year old sister was diagnosed. She's been gluten free since then. My doctor at the time, who I will not name but I do have to say I am unimpressed with, told me that I didn't need to go on the diet because I was still growing and my body would just "rejuvenate" the destruction that celiac disease was doing to my small intestines. If you ask my mother, that's why I stopped growing and ended up being the shortest in the family.

After destructing my entire digestive tract over the next 7 years, I finally hopped on the gluten free diet when  I was 18 and in my first year of university. I've been completely diligent for the past 8 years!

I realize that I'm lucky: unlike most people, I wasn't sick for years and years before figuring out what was wrong with me. I also had a pretty easy transition from "normal" food to GF food since I knew so many people around me that were also celiacs and living GF. That being said, I think we're always finding out information. I think we get into our grooves of what restaurants work, what grocery stores offer the food you like and you stop exploring. I'm going to explore what we've got because we live in a great town and there's lots to see and do and EAT!

If you have anything you want me to cover or look into, I'm more than happy to do so!

No comments:

Post a Comment