Wednesday, February 2, 2011

No, it's not by choice and it's not a phase I'm going through.

Today when I opened my favourite section of the Globe and Mail (the Life section), I stumbled across an article on the main paged called The Gluten Debate: Cutting the Wheat from the Chaff. My first thought, oooooh, great another article about gluten.

First thought that just crossed your mind "What?!". Alright. Let me explain. I have celiac disease. This is an auto immune disorder where the only "cure" (or even better, the only way to keep it in remission) is to not eat gluten. At all. Not a single itty bitty trace.

What would happen if I wasn't on a gluten free diet? Well, I'd cause major damage to my entire digestive tract, likely suffer from malnutrition, develop some form of intestinal cancer, and lead a generally shitty life. True story. It actually qutie sad but in the past year I heard a story about a 21 year old female who died from celiac disease. Yes, died. Gluten is, therefore, not something I fuck around with.

Okay, so what's my problem with how "popular" being gluten free has become? Shouldn't I be happy? Well, I am. There are much more products available to me now, there's better options and it's pretty great. The problem?? It's a fad. Nothing like this sticks. (Think Atkins, South Beach, the grapefruit diet, etc., etc). And, while I fully support people going on a GF diet if they'd like to, when people don't take it as seriously as someone with celiac disease has to take it, it sometimes gives off the impression that everyone doesn't need to take it seriously. And I do.

Anyways, turns out the article in the Globe and Mail was pretty good. I'd recommend taking a quick read through it.

No comments:

Post a Comment